Re: AO27

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:57:32 -0600, GPersons <railfan@flash.net> wrote:

> I agree that AO27 very hard to hit on the weekends.

It is hard, but not impossible, you just have to be persistent <g>. I like
working stuff qrp, be it Mir or one of the other birds, I especially enjoy
AO-27. Even though the passes are short, it's nice to hear the regulars
everyday and occasionally snag a new grid. I'm slowly, but surely filling up
my grid square map.

Let me pose a question to other AO-27 qrpers. My station consists of a Yaesu
FT50, MFJ-1715S whip and a Premier mini headset microphone. Because I'm
addicted to AO-27 I often, literally have to stop on the side of a road
where the ambient noise is quite loud so I solved that problem by keep some
disposable foam earplugs in the car to block the outside noise out of the
ear that is exposed to road noise. How do you guys write down callsigns of
stations that you haven't worked before? I know the calls of most of the
regulars here on the east coast, most notably N3ZLL, N1JEZ, N1KZB, KF4FDJ,
VE6ITV, Bill in Idaho W4NML, Al in Mexico XE2YVW and others not on the east
coast such as N7SFI, KC5VAS if I left someone out I'm sorry, these are the
calls I can think of without looking at my log. This sounds crazy but I
usually just stick a small notepad in the waistband of my pants and jot
callsigns down on it, does anyone have an easier way to log new contacts
shile holding an HT in one hand (usually at a weird angle and adjusting it
for doppler) and a PTT button in the other?

73 Jeff W4JEF

    *=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Jeff Johns W4JEF - AMSAT# 32615 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
    |jeffj@scott.net  w4jef@amsat.org |     Reserve Patrol Captain     |
    |  Satellite: Mir R0MIR-1, AO-27  | Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept|
    |200LX+BayPac+FT50=Portable Packet|     QTH Birmingham, AL USA     |