MODE A LOOP

I put up a horizontal loop for mode A several days ago, and WOW!

I have been using loops for terrestrial work for quite some time now, and
they work great.  Why I didn't think of putting one horizontal for 29.4
until now, I don't know.

Thanks to the person who posted about it, around a week ago.

I live with my parents, and they don't favor antennas much!  I decided
that my ceiling would certainly accept the dimensions of this loop.
Being a somewhat experienced drywaller, I decided any screws or nails in
the ceiling would be easily patched up, so I went to It.

I used 22 gauge wire stripped from a multi-pair cable.  Cut it using the
1005/f formula.  Soldered the ends, and attached it to some RG-59.  I
have lots of RG-59, and have used it before on recieve only antennas with
success.

I put some standard thumb-tacks at the corners, and halfway down each
side to hoist it up.  The thumb-tacks were not pushed in tight, to allow
me to tense the ends, and square them up.  I replaced the corner
thumb-tacks with RG-59/RG-58 style cable clips.  I figure the antenna to
weigh about 8 ounces, so the extra long nails just help keep tension on
it, and will be less prone to bending, like thumb tacks.  I ran the RG-59
to a corner, and down the wall.  I secured the RG-59 at the feedpoint,
and several times until I got to the corner.

Total cost: If I had to buy everything, about $3 for cable, and a couple
of bucks for the wire from  Rad shack.  Oh, and $2 bucks for cable clips,
$.50 for thumb tacks, $2 for solder, etc. :)

Results: My first ever reception of RS-13!  With a good overhead pass,
sigs were S-5 to S-7 on my HR-2510.  I switched to my vertical dipole
(which is hidden in a tree outside) at various phases of the pass, and
heard very little. My next test will be RS-15.

Thanks for the idea, to whoever posted it, and I hope this variation may
help some apartment dwellers, or others with restrictions.

Question:  Did I see somewhere that RS-10 is non-operational?

BTW If you use white 22 gauge wire, white RG-59, white cable clips, and
white thumb-tacks, the XYL or parents will hardly notice it!

73, de Danny

KE4RAP@juno.com