Re: Navy space radar??

I have "listened" to many echoes from the NAVSPR transmitter (the one
near me is Kickapoo near Wichita Falls, TX. By "listen", some of the
stronger echoes are audible, but many more are visible using FFT
programs such as FFTDSP which use the sound card.

The Doppler shift of Mir is quite large and the passband of the receiver
very small in comparison. I have never been able to convince myself that
I have heard the echo from either Mir or the Shuttle. Would love to
though.

If you are successful, let me know.

The moon's echoes are spectacular. If I remember corrrectly, the beam is
almost east-west (really 91.5 degrees, I believe). You have to know the
location of the transmitter you are listening to. Then use a tracking
program to find when the azimuth of the moon from the transmitter
location is 91.5. It'll rattle your speaker.

--
Ron Parsons
W5RKN