Navy space radar??

    Hello all...

I plan on recording meteor echos using the Navy Space Radar System on
216.980 mhz.  I would like to test my antenna system by monitoring the echo
from the Mir space station as it passes through the radar.  I would guess that
I could use my tracking program and look at the footprint of Mir, to see when
the Navy radar location and my QTH are in a mutual window.  My problem is
that I'm not sure if the fan beam is on all the time, and if the footprint method
of monitoring is posible.  The moon would produce a longer lasting echo as it
passes through the radar beam, but I'm not sure of where the moon should be
positioned to hear its echo at my location here in the northeast.  Can anyone
shed some light on this??

Thanks,
73, Tony
AB2CJ