RE: Ok, so what's available in Mode A

I believe weekday is the key word here.  I can hear it just fine, what I can't hear is more than the first part of my call before some more powerful station captures the bird.  This happens more often than not.  That is why I believe mode A transponders are better.  You can usually find a free space in there somewhere, and you don't need to be a big gun to hold your own.

Vy73,  Mike.  KD9KC.  MARS: AAV6EV
kd9kc@whc.net    -    kd9kc@amsat.org
Home  page:   http://www.qsl.net/kd9kc/
El Paso, where the sun spends the winter.