RE: Ok, so what's available in Mode A

At 04:29 1/11/1999 +0000, Michael P. Olbrisch wrote:

>While not making it my life's ambition, I have tried several times to get on
>AO-27.  Just couldn't make it.  Nothing but wall-to-wall hello-hi-good
>days-greetings-how you doings and not even a short break.  I'm not being
>harsh, just factual from my experience.  If you want to be heard on AO-27
>with any kind of reliability, you will need to have the power/antenna to get
>it.  Anything else just isn't heard.  Maybe the week day passes are easier,
>but since I have a job I wouldn't know.
>
>Vy73,  Mike.  KD9KC.  MARS: AAV6EV
>kd9kc@whc.net    -    kd9kc@amsat.org
>Home  page:   http://www.qsl.net/kd9kc/
>El Paso, where the sun spends the winter.

Before my sat station was destroyed by lightning, I was a regular listener
and occasional user of AO-27.  I must disagree with the opinion stated
above.  I often heard QRP stations making contacts.  HT's with an arrow are
VERY common and every once in a while you will hear a station using a
rubber duck.

One or two watts is plenty of uplink power.  The trick is being able to
hear the bird.  Once you have good copy on the bird you can time your
transmissions  similar to chasing DX on HF.

Looking forward to my insurance check so I can get a new rig...

73 de Roger Snyder, K4RS
Internet: k4rs@amsat.org
AX.25 packet: K4RS @ N4XEO.#FTP.FL.USA.NOAM
Satellite: K4RS @ KO-23 or KO-25