Re: Ok, so what's available in Mode A

Mike,

> Unfortunately, in many cases, the beginners have to sit through half the pass (or
> more),
> listening to people who are regulars, just saying "hi" to each other.

I see nothing wrong with this.  There are many people who have developed hard and
fast relationships with each other, and the quick hi to each other takes less
satellite time than exchanging, calls, reports, grid squares, et al.  The
etiquette, on Oscar 27 seems to be, if you've worked before, just say hi, and if
it's a new contact, exchange the necessary data.  Most of these same operators will
let a new user, or a portable operator, or a special event op have the bird for a
reasonable length of time.

>  I started a list of stupid things said over AO-27 by people who were regulars.
> That list
> ended when I heard one of those guys saying "Well, I'm defrosting my
> refrigerator now...my wife has everything out on the counter...maybe in
> a few hours we'll clean it out, start it up and put everything back." It made
> me sick to think that this drivel was being repeated through one of the
> nicest beginners satellites we have, blocking others who may have been
> trying for days or weeks to get into that thing.

One mans trash, is another man's treasure.  Perhaps this person is handicapped,
house bound, and the person on the other end was an old dear friend.  Who cares
what the content was.  I'm sure the exchange only took a few seconds, and was
apparently important to the op.  Nobody is able to monopolize the bird for too
long, for the reasons you stated; a stronger station will take over the channel.
:-)

> The problem with the FM repeater satellites start when a few people begin
> to monopolize every pass for weeks, months or years on end. They feel
> obligated to say an exclusive greeting to everyone they know and hear on
> the downlink...to the detriment of the beginners and lower-power operators.
> This is not exclusive to AO-27, though; it also happened with AO-21.

Again, I don't agree.  QSOs come in all shapes and sizes.  Most of the quick
"Hello, Mike, Jeff, Bill and Tom from Bernie in Portabelo, Kansas, K0HI." are
quick, efficient, and should not be detrimental to other users of the bird.  If the
op gets  satisfaction from that sort of exchange, and it's quick and polite, I
consider that good use of the technology.

I regularly hear mobile and portable stations on Oscar 27, and they are usually
given a chance to make calls.  I have seen that just putting your call out there is
less apt to get you a taker than picking a call sign and making a specific call.
Most conscientious ops will wait for the other station to reply.  If a station just
puts out their call, it doesn't mean any other ops are obligated to see if anybody
comes back to them.  It works the same way on any call frequency on any other band.

Otherwise Mike, I think we are in agreement.  I just think you are being too harsh
on us regular users of Oscar 27.  It's a different culture on that bird.  And,
considering the number of users, I think it is relatively civilized!

73, and see you on RS13, AO10!!  Mike kf4fdj@amsat.org