RE: Ok, so what's available in Mode A

I was referring to all the anti-Mode-A posts that were passed along here
quite awhile ago, when the question of future satellites was brought up.
AO-27 (and AO-21 for those of us who were lucky enough to use it) are
terrific satellites for those hams who were interested in satellites, but
lacked the all-mode equipment for Modes A, B, J and S or the license
for Mode-K. These are (were) great satellites for beginners. Unfortunately,
in many cases, the beginners have to sit through half the pass (or more),
listening to people who are regulars, just saying "hi" to each other.

Both of these FM repeater satellites attracted the same problems. The
people who were running low power were stomped by others who ran
beams and 25+ watts (or maybe I should say 100+ watts). I started a list
of stupid things said over AO-27 by people who were regulars. That list
ended when I heard one of those guys saying "Well, I'm defrosting my
refrigerator now...my wife has everything out on the counter...maybe in
a few hours we'll clean it out, start it up and put everything back." It made
me sick to think that this drivel was being repeated through one of the
nicest beginners satellites we have, blocking others who may have been
trying for days or weeks to get into that thing.

The problem with the FM repeater satellites start when a few people begin
to monopolize every pass for weeks, months or years on end. They feel
obligated to say an exclusive greeting to everyone they know and hear on
the downlink...to the detriment of the beginners and lower-power operators.
This is not exclusive to AO-27, though; it also happened with AO-21.

The truth is, neither mode is better than the other (although I am partial to
Modes A, K and T), and none of the modes can be considered "old" or
"out-dated". I was very pleased to hear so many people excited to have
RS-13 back in Mode-A. Everyone has to start somewhere and usually with
modest equipment. If their interest is piqued, then they can (should) upgrade
to transponder-type satellites. Transponder-type satellites can accommodate
every type of operator, rag-chewer, DXer, WAS-seekers and even beginners.
Common courtesy should be the first rule of satellite operating, especially
on the FM sats.

73

Mike, N8MR
Attempting to put out the fire before it goes too far...

At 04:54 PM 1/10/99 -0000, you wrote:
>	I disagree totally with the statement below!  One listen to the hash of
stations trying to just get a callsign through the mess on AO-27 compared to
the multiple "real contacts" of a mode A satellite will prove this.  An FM
repeater, orbiting or not, does not provide the opportunity of a
transponder... ever.  It has been said that the only way to get a contact on
AO-27 is to use enough power and antenna to totally capture the satellite.
Not in the spirit of ham radio.  It isn't hard at all to work mode A, even
on the busiest passes, there is room enough for 10 QSOs or more.  Now I ask
you, which one better serves the needs of the "community"?
>I am not against AO-27 type birds, but not to the exclusion of AO-12/13
birds either!  Ask yourself, what would P3D mean to you if it could only
support ONE QSO at a time?  Hmm?

>Vy73,  Mike.  KD9KC.  MARS: AAV6EV
>kd9kc@whc.net    -    kd9kc@amsat.org
>Home  page:   http://www.qsl.net/kd9kc/
>El Paso, where the sun spends the winter.

Mike
kf8bex@oeonline.com