Re: QRM in North American satellite sub-band(s) [was: FO-29 [qrm possibly located])

Hi, Ricardo!

At 08:22 PM 04-01-99 -0600, Ricardo Denis wrote:
>you are 100% right, the FCC has no authority here; yet this situation
>affects you, me and hams all over the Americas.

That's exactly the reason why just about every sovereign nation on this
planet agreed to the International Telecommunication Convention and the
Radio Regulations appended to it.  Everyone, in principle, agrees with your
basic ideas.

>that is why i suggested or
>hinted at an e-mail writing campaign *if* the readers of this list thought
>it was a serious enough matter.

Large e-mail and letter writing campaigns do have a place.  But, in this
situation, they would probably do more harm than good.  Please, let me
explain.

Put yourself in the place of the person (stuckee?) receiving dozens or
hundreds or thousands of messages.  If the messages are all the same, he
knows they're an organized campaign and, therefor, will probably disregard
their importance.  If they're substantially different, he'll think that the
writers probably don't have their facts clearly and, therefor, will
probably dismiss them.  And, since all these messages will be arriving
along with routine business, they'll be incredibly disruptive and annoying
and, therefor, won't be making us a friend.  Essentially, large e-mail and
letter writing campaigns will likely get us nowhere or worse.

Consider another way.

National societies, like ARRL, and certain specialized organizations, like
AMSAT, routinely make specific efforts to know those in their
administration and earn their respect.  They make a serious effort to have
their facts in order.  When they come to talk, their opinions are usually
respected.

Administration personnel also know that these groups represent a large
number of members.  So, when they speak to an administration, they carry
the clout of numbers in addition to technical qualification.  This earns
more respect.

IMHO, the best tactic is to document, as completely as possible, operations
which cause harmful interference and which are not in accordance with the
Radio Regulations.  Then, use our national societies and administrations to
press our  arguments using well established international procedures.

An administration, such as the administration in Honduras, is much more
likely to act on complaints from other administrations than from a letter
writing campaign.

Hope this helps.

73, art.....