More Not 2YK Yet.

> From: "Bruce Paige" <kk5do@amsat.org>
> To: "Bob Freeway" <bfreeway@hotmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 16:41:19 -5
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Not 2YK yet, but ...

> From:           	"Bob Freeway" <bfreeway@hotmail.com>
> To:             	oe1vkw@oe1kib.ampr.org
> Copies to:      	amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
> Subject:        	Re: [amsat-bb] Not 2YK yet, but ...
> Date sent:      	Sat, 02 Jan 1999 13:33:18 PST
>
>> In the US, ANSI Standard X3.30, and NIST FIPS 4-1 say that
>> 1998-12-31 and 1999-01-01 are the formats to use.

> I guess it hasn't caught up to whatever sent your message.
> look at the date sent in the header....

The RFC 822 standard which defines the date format in Internet email is
outdated. INTERNIC already admit this, and issued a revision (RFC
1322??) to expand to 4 digits for the year but little else.

However, both INTERNIC and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) now have
documents on their respective Web Sites that say that the ISO 8601 Date
Format must be used on all NEW protocols used on Internet. So, this
change WILL be happening soon.

Try  http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/iso-pc.htm  for setting up your PC to use
the new format. Use it in your log-book or logging program, use it on
your QSL cards and in your email and packet messages; as recommended by
WA1LOU in the 1998 August QST for example (page 92). Use it on award
certificates and any other place that dates are used.

Amateur Radio and Internet are both mediums that require thinking on a
global not local basis.

Watch this space....

Bob.