Re: Mail Delays

Jeff Johns writes:

> I sent a couple of messages to myself today (kf4kgq@amsat.org) and both of
> them took almost two hours to come back to me. Also, it takes almost two
> hours for my posts to appear on the BB list.

I think maybe the problem is more in perception of how the internet works
than in anything else.

When amsat-bb receives a message for reflecting it sets to and starts
mailing it to everyone on the amsat-bb list, last time I looked there were
over 1500 people on the -bb list. Many more just use the callsign@amsat.org
reflection of e-mails. This sort of forwarding does not happen instantly.

Add to that any other tasks occurring on the server which, I believe, is
not *owned* by amsat (so its doing someone elses work too). Possibly the
reflection of personal e-mails has a lower priority than other tasks - I
don't have a problem with that; I just want things to get through sometime,
it doesn't have to happen instantly.

If the server is (more or less) idle then the job takes place immediately
and some folks probably see things coming back fairly quickly ... but
what if there are other tasks in the queue ? I suspect thats the reason
for the delay.

My understanding of the principle of a reflector is poor, I only log in to
my ISP once a day, but I'd say that we should only complain when it doesn't
work at all.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org