Re: Reactions and Opinions to "Dragonfly"

Hi Keith. I am currently reading the book "Dragonfly" and really enjoy it.
I am about 2/3 the way to the end.  As far as ham radio is concerned, the
author does not have one thing correct.  He refers to the "bandwidth" of
the Russian radio signals being received at Wallops Island, Virginia as
being 5 megahertz wide, not the usual 3 megahertz wide.  He used the wrong
prefix, kilohertz instead of megahertz is correct.  If the Russians were
transmitting a 5 megahertz wide signal on voice, compared to a typical FM
broadcast band receiver, they would occupy a space from 90 to 95 megahertz
on the dial!  That would be some audio signal.  You would have
enough spectrum there to accomodate 25 FM radio stations.

The other information in the book is very interesting.  It just goes to
prove that politics controls everything.  It does not matter if the
space program would be good for science, good for the country, or good for
big business.  As long as a politician sees it will get him (her)
somewhere, the space program in our country will continue. It is a real
shame that those who control the purse strings are generally too stupid to
know anything about a program they make or break.

Maybe we should convince the Republicans that impeachment of Clinton would
actually take place if they increased NASA's budget by 50%!

Rick  WB3CSY