Re: AEA ST-1

Hi, all:
This is based on ancient memory, but here goes:

We used an ST-1 at the VASC station for a while.  For various reasons, it is no longer in service.  As I recall,
all it had in it was a parallell interface to move digital data in and out, some kind of a to d conversion for
determining rotor position, and a serial interface to talk to the radio.  It's all hardware, no processor or
embedded smarts of any kind -- so, it should be y2k compliant because it doesn't care.

As I recall about the software, it was a hardware interface which interfaced with the InstantTrack package for
tracking, using ORBITDRV and some kind or ROTORDRV TSR's to interface with IT.  These drivers were proviced by
AEA, I have no idea whether they are y2k compliant or not.  (The software was not particularly friendly, part of
why we don't use it anymore.)  Since ORBIT/ROTOR DRV obey the published KCT spec, it would appear to me that the
AEA software, too, is y2k compliant, because it doesn't care.  All this stuff does is take ordered frequency,
rotor position, and send them out, then comparing the rotor position with ordered position and assert
left/right/up/down commands in the rotor.  SO . . . . you're real y2k concern is going to be in what drives this
package -- that's InstantTrack or Wisp, or whatever.

I understand that Franklin is assessing whether or not/how to make IT (& components) y2k compliant, and that Wisp
(32bit) already is.

So, not a lot of concrete info, but some data that I hope helps in this issue.

Good luck with it!

73, Jim
wb4gcs@amsat.org

PS:  Franklin -- still use IT/ORBITDRV at VASC . . . really like the stability of a DOS system for extended,
unattended, automatic operations -- now on year 4 or 5 or something.  No crushing urge to go to a windoze product
when InstantTrack works so well . . . .

73, Jim
(all replies to my home email, pls:  wb4gcs@amsat.org)