Space Rated Solar Panels

Weber State and the Naval Academy *may* have an amateur satellite launch
opportunity if we can build our payload in only a little over a month.
The bad news is assembling the solar panels in that time frame.

The good news is that they do not have to be custom built, since we have a
9 foot by 3 foot square "phone booth" sized spacecraft to attach them to.
Thus we are in the unique position of being able to use just about any
size and shape as long as we can get about 12 Watts per Face out of
them.  With typical effeciencies, we are talking about panels on the order
of one square foot area.  We will need 5 or 6 of them to cover all angles.
If you know of ANY Space qualified spare panels that we could get for
this amateur radio project, please contact us ASAP.

Bob Bruninga, Naval Academy, WB4APR@amsat.org
Bill Clapp, Weber State wclapp@weber.edu

We can buy glass coated cells but we just wont have the time to assemble 6
panels of 40 cells each!  But I bet there are plenty of un-flown panels
out there not in use that might be made available for such an amateur
radio project..

The closest thing we have found are Edmund Scientific panels that are
surface encapsulated in a U/V resistant polimer, but we do not know what
will happen to that coating in a space environment and would hate to risk
the whole mission.  The orbit is a 36,000 by 655 km orbit with inclination
of less than 2 degrees passing through the van allen belts 4 times a day.

de WB4APR, Bob