Re: Just wondering

<< I am just wondering, are there such things as a hand-held ham radio?

 Thanx,
 James >>

Yes there are James --and thats what they are called Hand-Helds -- or
abreviated HT for handheld transceiver.

They are primerally used on our VHF and UHF bands -- starting at 50 MHz (6
meters).

Most HT's are single band although dual-band versions for the 144 and 440 ham
bands are also popular.  There is/was even a few tri-band HT's but they are
not as popular with hams as are the single band and dual band units.

The most populated and popular band where HT's re used is 2 meters (1544-148
MHz in the USA) followed by the 70 cm (440 MHz) band.  Thats the reason that
most dual band HT's are for those two bands.

And a starteling figure -- it is estimated that 97% of all active US has own
at least one 2 meter HT!!  Even Radio Shack sells them.

Regards
Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF
Amateur Radio Newsline