Re: Wow! AO-10 on a shoestring

I have also had success without the use of an amplifier or "satellite"
antennas on AO-10, FO-20 and FO-29.

Using the Kenwood TS790 which is about 40 watts on either uplink. The
antennas are left over from other projects: an Alliance U-110 that used to
bring TV into the house (on cable now) is now the elevation rotor using a
home brew controller box. Azimuth is handled by a CDE CD-44 that I
repaired. Antennas are 13B2 yagi for 2 and a 440-16 (old ATV antenna) for 435.

I'm at least as loud as the beacon on '10. I think I enjoy it more knowing
that I can get into the bird with minimal equipment/investment. It's almost
as big a thrill as working the stations. This time around (I had a more
elaborate setup a couple of years ago) I have only worked I5TDJ and W3JUZ
but I've only been on for a couple of weeks. Still working some bugs (!)
out of the system. Pre-amps are next upgrade, if we just have a break in
the weather.....

It seems to me that AO-13 required more station than AO-10 does. Is this
just the effects of too much RF on the gray matter or was that the case?

This "shoestring" setup has intrigued one of my buddies into believing it
may be possible for him to do the same thing. Success is contagious!

At 07:38 PM 12/21/98 EST, K5OE@aol.com wrote:
>Over the last two nights I have succesfully worked
>SSB stations, including Tom, WB4FWQ both nights, with only 10 watts and 6 dBi
>antennas for both uplink and downlink.  The first time it was a mistake--I

          John Wilcox  NS1Z
               FN44rn
           ns1z@agate.net
         fon: 207-364-2246