9600 baud using handheld FM

Hi everybody,

                    I have an Old dual band handheld (icom-ic32at) and
I'm currently using it to listen the downlink of the Pacsat birds
(uo-22, ko's and tmsat). I could get a good signal form the bird but I
can't properly decode the 9600 baud. I can get a few prints of bytes in
my P.C. Is this Radio I'm using capable of 9600 baud. Standard FM
handheld has a 5 khz increment step only and I'm wondering if this is
the cause.. I have tried to manually change the doppler setting of the
bird.
                        Anyone who have tried using standard FM Radio
for Pacsats with 5khz step only, Please share some of your experiences.
                             And also, The Receive is already hook to
the descriminator of the handheld.
                           thank's in advance.

73's
dic/du9xa