Re: [sarex] SSTV in Violation [???]

    >MIREX had a talk with Sergej this last Saterday
    >to explain that SSTV was on 145.985 and was not suppose to
    >be on this freq, Sergej said that this was only a test and would
    >ONLY last 2 days  [ DONE TESTING BY SUNDAY 12-13-98 ]
    >as Miles wanted a lot of hams to be able to see SSTV.
    >
    >I was NOT to happy to see that SSTV was STILL on 145.985
    >this last pass [ 18:08 UTC Monday ]. This is in Direct
    >violation of the teams Miles made with Sergej and to have
    >SSTV on 145.985 is also a violation  with the agreement
    >made to have SSTV on 430.

Actually, i think testing it on 2 meters was a very good idea.  Then us
earthbound folks were able to get a number of interesting pictures and
be motivated to try to deal with doppler which shifts (on an HT) about
20-25 KHz during a pass.  I don't know much about SSTV modes, but if
the baseline is FM, one has to track doppler alot more carefully.  Yes,
you can do it by ear (that's how i worked the MIR/SAFEX repeater), but
it is not a mode for beginners.  Allowing folks to try out beginning-
level decoding on 2 meters seems to be to me an excellent idea. And if
the timescale is a few weeks rather a few days, that may not be so bad;
let's just not look at months.  (Unless they're turning on the SAFEX
Repeater at the same time, to give the rest of us something to do.)

			-- KD6PAG  ("Networking Old-Timer, RF newbie")