Re: Handheld Satellite COMMS

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:31:58 -0500 (EST), Bob Bruninga <bruninga@nadn.navy.mil> wrote:

> The following successful experiments were just conducted at the Naval
> Academy as part of the ongoing APRS School experiments via MIR using only
> the new Kenwood APRS Data Walkie-Talkie during a pass just minutes ago...

Bob, I am ever so jealous.... I thought my FT50 and HP200LX was a miniscule
setup for sending APRS data & brief messages through Mir, but now I must
admit that you have got me beaten :( For what it's worth, I have used the
rubber duck on the FT50 to access Mir, but it was only on a _very good_
pass.

Now that I almost have enough money saved for my Arrow antenna I guess I'll
start saving for a new Kenwood HT *sigh*.

On an unrelated note, I have been having a blast using my FT50 for working
AO-27 with my nifty new MFJ-1715S antenna.

73 Jeff KF4KGQ

    |jeffj@scott.net kf4kgq@amsat.org |     Reserve Patrol Captain      |
    | Satellite: Mir R0MIR-1, AO-27   | Jefferson County Sheriff's Dept |
    |200LX+BayPac+FT50=Portable Packet|     QTH Birmingham, AL USA      |
    =-=-=-=-=-=- Packet AX.25 KF4KGQ@wd4epr.#bhm.al.usa.noam -=-=-=-=-=-=