Re: Someone asked me about stepping motors

Well, someone asked about the torque of these motors. I have two NEMA 34
frame stepping motors, they are about 8" long and 3.4" in diameter they have
samarium cobalt magnets in them and will deliver about 2500 Oz/In of torque
or 156" lb. at around 500 RPM, one has a precision 60:1 gear reducer on it
so I might use that for the elevation the other I plan on belt driving the
AZ with a 10:1 sprocket arrangement. I don't know what some of these other
AZ/EL rotors are rated but with the gear head it puts me at somewhere around
780 ft/lbs of torque, should be enough to rotate the entire house. : )

I happened across these drives and motors for a song. The framework will be
built from wood, I don't have the space available on the roof or tower so it
will sit in the backyard until Im finished with it or the neighbors complain
to the association. I wanted to use these drives because the indexer (the
intelligent part of the controller) has RS232 so I can write a simple
program to read the serial port decode the ASCII and then move
appropriately. A couple fellows have already provided some help with the
ASCII driver portion. Now the only thing left is to build the framework and
antennas. Hmmm now where's that thrust bearing I've been saving....

Tim, ka8ddz