Monitoring Meteors via Radio beacons?

     Hello all....

    I know this is off topic, but I thought it might be of interest.  I'm trying to find a
way to record meteor scatter signals by utilizing AF9Y's weak signal FFT program.
Obviously a known signal source would need to be monitored within the band of interest.
I was thinking of monitoring a known beacon that would normaly be just above the noise
at my location, and observing any "pings" or bursts of signal that would be typical
of a signal reflected by an ionized meteor trial.  My problem is that I'm not sure of
how critical the location of the signal source is for reliable meteor scatter monitoring.
I would tend to believe that monitoring the calling frequency of 2 meters for instance,
would provide a better way of monitoring meteor scattered signals simply because of
the number of stations in different locations that might be on the air as opposed to a
single beacon.  On the other hand, the beacon is a CONSTANT source of signal.
I guess the ideal way would be to utilize the scan mode in the receiver hi.

Any suggestions?

Please reply direct.
Tnx de AB2CJ
Tony.