Re: Shortened antennas

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:

> I'm putting up new antennas and have a contention problem, so it would
> be very useful if the 2M antenna weren't 14 feet long.
>
> So, how much gain is enough?

I have no problem with the 9600 baud pacsats using only  a THREE (3)
element UHF array.  Problem is, you cannot buy one!  None of the amateur
MFRS make such a small antenna.  THey do, but it is in their "commercial"
line, and you have to go through a cherade to get one.

But I think the 4 elements on UHF is plenty.  Any longer and your aiming
becomes more critical, and you DONT need the gain..

This doesnt answer your 2m question, but it does make the point about
smaller is better for tracking...

bob, WB4APR