Shortened antennas

It appears to me that for the near future, directional gain antennas
are going to be necessary for satellite communications.
I'm putting up new antennas and have a contention problem, so it would
be very useful if the 2M antenna weren't 14 feet long.

So, how much gain is enough?  Can I take an existing 14 element KLM
cross-Yagi, and saw off a couple of feet and have enough gain?  Is
there a better way to address this problem?

73, doug