Re: TDRS

Hi all:

Ron is right, TDRSS is for government  use only with the exception of the
C-Band transponders used for commercial leasing. TDRSS's primary function
is for space to space to ground relay communication links (Shuttle to TDRSS
to ground, Compton GRO to TDRSS to ground, TOPEX to TDRSS to ground, etc).
Nothing there that you can listen to (assuming that is what you want to
do...).

A good source of info is the NASA Goddard TDRSS web pages. Here's one I've
used in the past:

http://www530.gsfc.nasa.gov/tdrss/

another is:

http://www530.gsfc.nasa.gov/TUBE/

enjoy!

Eric
N6CV

>At 11:05 12/05/98 EST, James B Sibley wrote:
>>Can someone please send me the Downlinks of the TDRS's?
>
>NASA's Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS) is intended only
>for communications by NASA with their satellites. It is not a broadcast
>service and does not operate in the same frequency bands as commercial
>satellites. The downlink antenna has a very small beam size and is aimed
>at the TDRSS ground terminal at the White Sands Complex (WSC) in New Mexico.
>Unless you lived in that area you would not be able to pick it up anyway.
>The next problem is that the downlink is a 50Mb/s pn spread signal that is
>very wide. Even if you lived near WSC, had an appropriate receiver, and a
>very large dish, the spread spectrum characteristics of the signal would
>probably prevent you from even detecting any signal.
>
>Having said all that it turns out that there is a standard Westar commercial
>transponder package on each of the TDRSS satellites. These transponders
>were not turned on for years. It appears from another persons post that
>that has changed. The communications through these transponders is not NASA
>related however. They serve a totally separate commercial function.
>
>Ron,wa4sir
>

>----

Eric Archer			4800 Oak Grove Drive
Sr. Member of the Technical Staff	M/S 238-411
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory	Pasadena CA 91109
E-Mail: earcher@jpl.nasa.gov		Office: (818) 354-7350