Re: Y2k

> Date: 1998-Dec-02 [Wed] 13:45:53 -0500 (EST)
> From: Laura Denise Halliday <lha@sdr.utias.utoronto.ca>
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Y2k

> On 1998-Dec-02 [Wed] Bill Jones wrote:
>
>> (...snip)
>> The program being compatable is only part of it. Has the
>> question of whether the TLE format will change been
>> answered (I may have missed it )?
>> (snip...)
>
> Acording to Dr. Kelso's web site (http://www.celstrak.com),
> they will be assuming (for now) that years 00-56 mean 2000-2056,
> since there were no artificial satellites prior to 1957.
> Look in the FAQs.
>
> I'll be surprised (though pleased) if I'm still around when
> this solution runs out, shortly after my 96th birthday.
> If I hang on that long I'll be looking forward to seeing
> Halley's return, due around the time I turn 100...

Whether any of us are around then or not is totally irrelevant, there
will be many satellites launched in the 1960s that will still be in
orbit in the 2060s. Any keps dated for year '60' will be ambiguous as to
whether 1960 or 2060 is meant. Only a 4-digit-year solution will totally
fix this problem.

There is also some information at:
<http://www2.satellite.eu.org/sat/seesat/Sep-1997/0146.html>
but this was never followed up in any way.

There was some brief information in a recent AMSAT Journal, from memory
the last July/August issue on Page 18, 19, or 20 ?? (Not to hand at
present).

Cheers,

Bob.