Tech question

Greetings all

I give the occasional talk about amateur satellites to UK clubs but the
other night I got asked a couple of questions that stumped me :

1. Do we use special crystals on satellites (because G forces and vibration
   during launch might cause "standard" crystals to break) ???

and
2. Has any thought been given to using the extreme temperatures in space for
   power generation using thermophotovoltaics (heat in, electricity out) ?
   (prompted by an article in Scientific American Sept 1998 pp 90-95)

Over to you, boffins

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org