Re: found grid sq ok

> So what good is the grid system?
> If I told you my QTH is in the north east corner of Missouri
> would you need a map?

APRS uses grids to transmit a users position in only 6 chars.  Compare

FM19SX
3859.11N/07629.11W
North East corner of Missouri

Thus, for Meteor Scatter, DX, HF, MIR or AO16 APRS position reporting
where short packets are better than long ones, it really helps.  And then
APRS automatically plots them on the map.  Even if you dont need short
packets, the 6 letter abbreviation can be inserted just for fun so that
all communications include a posit.

Most new GPS's also can report position in grids.  And the new Kenwood
APRS HT displays the grid of ALL APRS stations it hears. (if they are
transmitting APRS.

So, it does have some value..

bob