Re: found grid sq ok

John Becker wrote:

> So what good is the grid system?
> If I told you my grid (what ever the hell it is)
> would you know my QTH without getting out a map?
>
> If I told you my QTH is in the north east corner of Missouri
> would you need a map?
>
> I just dont see what good it is.

Of course NE Missouri is more meaningful to most folks, but after
using it awhile the grid system becomes almost as second nature, and
is certainly more precise.  But the primary utility is as a contest
parameter for VHF/UHF.  If you're trying to work the greatest number
of states in a weekend, you're at a big advantage if you happen to
live in Vermont rather than in Montana.  If you're collecting
countries, far better to be in Europe than in Australia.  But if we're
collecting grids, they're all the same size and shape, so everyone is
working on a level playing field.  That's the primary advantage and
the reason grids were invented in the first place.  If you are going
to describe how effective your satellite operation is, it's much more
meaningful to say you've worked 100 grids than 100 countries, because
we all know the exact measuring scale being employed, and that it has
far fewer variables involved than the other system.
--
Mark D. Johns, Cedar Falls, Iowa -- K0MDJ (EN32sm)
 "Heaven goes by favour.  If it went by merit, you would