Re: ao-27

Chris,

I work AO-27 regularly with my handheld.  It is an FT50R.  I have to use
the fat battery, to get 5 watts output.  The stock antenna will not
work.  I bought one of those Comet dual band antennas with an SMA
connector.  It is a gain antenna, and close to 2 feet long.  You have to
keep moving the antenna around to find the right orientation.  Sometimes
the rig ends up inverted for best capture! :-)  I think it favors
vertical polorization on the downlink.  Good luck!  BTW, many portable
ops use the ARROW antenna.  I have one, and it works well.

--
Mike Gilchrist KF4FDJ - P.O. Box 763 - Fort Myers, FL
33902-0763kf4fdj@amsat.org - www.gate.net/~seven77