Re: AO-10. WOW!.

Peter,

I have noticed a tremendous attenuation of mode J downlinks today as the birds reach
the northern latitudes.  The only thing I can think is that some remarkable sporadic E
propagation is happening associated with a weather system in the north.  I can start
an Oscar 29 QSO here in the extreme south, with little noise, and as the bird advances
north, the signal/noise ratio goes to pot, and I have to sit on the polarity switchers
to optimize the downlink.

I would be curious if anybody up north has checked for any vhf/uhf propagation on
terrestrial paths.  What you have said supports my theory.  Maybe as the bird was at
the horizon, you were getting some sporatic E skip from the same source that is
attenuating the sky signals from the birds at a more obtuse angle.

I would appreciate more open forum discussion of the phenomenon we are witnessing
today!

73, Mike kf4fdj@amsat.org