Re: AO-10 Keps

At 02:08 PM 11/15/98 -0800, B Keyport wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 11:27:36 -0800, Paul Williamson wrote:
>
>>Uh, no, I don't think so.  "0.0 e0" is an abbreviation for
>>0.0 X 10^0 (zero point zero times ten to the power zero),
>>which is equal to zero.  You might have to put the "e0"
>>back in for some programs, depending on how smart
>>they are about parsing this number.
>
>Algebra 101, here... Anything to the power 0, is equal to 1. Any proper
>calculator, or math professor, or anyone else that's got a math brain
>will inform you of that fact.
>
>However, my calculator tells me you can't raise 0 by the power of 0,
>and throws an error. all other numbers raised to 0, gives 1.

Well, never let it be said that we can't have some interesting discussions
on the amsat-bb :-). This started out as a "before coffee" typo on my part,
but it's generated some thinking about exponential notation, etc., so maybe
it's had a useful purpose.

As a graduate of Algebra 101, and a quite a few more math. classes in my
distant past, I find we are in violent agreement ;-).  What you say, and
what Paul said above are both absolutely correct.  Any number to the "zero"
power, including zero, = 1.  The algorithm used in some calculators may not
handle the "zero to the zeroth power" exception. By the way, mine seem to
handle it fine. Because "0.0 e0" is not raising zero to the zeroth power,
it's "0.0 x 10^0" (as Paul indicated above), it should work in your
calculator (and in an orbital program). Why it has been said not to work in
some orbital programs isn't clear, but it shouldn't be a "0^0" problem.