Re: grease for rotors.

Andrew N. Hardy wrote:
Mike, I would appreciate you views and/or help for the same problem(s)
Mark described above.  In my case, I live on Lake Erie (approx. 250 feet
from the shoreline) and my rotor will develop oxidation, due to high winds
(we had a near Hurricane force one last week with winds gusting to 75 Kts.!),
small particles will mix in, etc.  I have used Lubraplate for decades on aircraft
and other items, but never for exposed moving (rotating) antennas.
Good morning Andy,

            Well, you indeed have a problem there.  In your environment, you need the lubricants.  As I remember my days along Lake Michigan, moisture and rust will get you if you don't lubricate.  With experience in aircraft, you will recognize this.  The key to your problem is what we called in the army the "Maintenance Interval".  If you have something that must be lubricated, and it is in a harsh environment, you need to change that lubricant before it becomes contaminated and destroys the equipment.  Another possibility is to add additional protection in the form of excess grease on the outside that stops the contaminants from entering the moving parts.  This must be remover and replaced as needed (usually often), and is messy.  A 3rd possibility is to add shields over the moving parts.  Something like automotive C/V boots over the shaft would "help" to protect it, meaning that it would lengthen your maintenance interval.  A 4th idea is to lube it as you usually do, and run it.  Replace the bearings when they fail, and call the cost a necessary part of our hobby.  After all, what does a bearing set cost?  Now, an M1A1 tank turbine is just a little more costly hi hi.

In order for Sadam (read the name backwards!) and his crew from gaining
some inside info, what grease and or lubricant have you guys used in Desert
Storm to overcome these problems and is there a very close civilian equivalent?
We used what the manufacturer recommended in most cases.  BUT!!! We cleaned often.  We lubricated sparingly.  We protected with covers.  We didn't lubricate those things that were lubed only for rust protection.  Break-Free lube for weapons has PTFE particles in an oil suspension.  After many applications, it left a light teflon presence on the moving parts of the rifles.  Even so, we cleaned them daily. and sometimes more often.  Basically... we over-maintained.  Did you think all those un-lubricated condoms in Desert Storm were used for their original design?  It so happens that they fit nicely over the barrel of rifles and pistols.  One size fits all, so to speak.  They had to use the king kong size for the tanks and cannons hi hi hi.

I would not recommend condoms on your rotor.  C/V boots, on the other hand, might work if you find a size for your rotor/shaft combination.  Remember, they stretch a little, so something "close" should work.  Good luck, and hope this helps some others too.  Let me know if you come up with other ideas.

--
Vy73, Mike. KD9KC  Army MARS: AAV6EV
kd9kc@whc.net - - - kd9kc@amsat.org

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home