Re: grease for rotors.

The reason for using "Lubriplate," a grease marketed through
marine shops for lubricating outboard motor gearboxes, is
because it is extremely waterproof, and will not allow
moisture to either rust or freeze your rotor bearings.  In
El Paso, it's probably not necessary.  Up here in the wet,
cold Midwest, it's darned near essential.  On the 5400, you
can get to the gears on the elevation rotor by removing the
access plate.  Just wipe away as much of the old grease as
possible with a dry cloth, then squirt the Lubriplate onto
the bearings and run the rotor a few cycles to spread it
around.  It's more complicated on the azimuth side -- you
have to take the rotor apart to clean the bearings and
replace the grease.  Again, it doesn't matter if a little
bit of the old grease mixes in.  Lubriplate is white,
Yaesu's grease is black, so if you end up with a nice shade
of gray you've done alright.  I've used it for years, and
the original AMSAT Journal reference to it was attributed to
me (under my old call, WA0RGV) but the tip was passed to me
over the air by several other satellite ops before me.
Lubriplate is great stuff.  Good luck with it.
--
Mark D. Johns, Cedar Falls, Iowa -- K0MDJ (EN32sm)
 "Heaven goes by favour.  If it went by merit, you would