Mobile 9600 Baud SOLUTION!

> Bob Hart said: Thanks to all [re: his query about Mobile PACSAT antennas]
> There were many thoughtful and interesting ideas, but no "Silver Bullet".
> It appears  the descriptors "mobile" and "9600 baud" are mutually exclusive
> ... the PACSAT Protocol ... expects you to [capture] the directory
> and any downloads. If you miss a bit here and there during a pass, [your
> station must request] fills for the holes ... [BUT] if the antenna is
> marginal and you miss lots of bits you end up using all the subsequent
> passes requesting fills. Meanwhile you [have missed new Directorys with
> more traffic and] things [only] get progressively worse...

BINGO!  THE SILVER BULLET is to IMPLEMENT the most important function
which is IN THE PROTOCOL, but never impelmented. And that is the ability
to LIST-MY or READ-MY messages.   Then who cares about the directory. AND
a marginal antenna will werk perfectly.  You just wait until the OVERHEAD
Pass (6 per day) for all three satellites and your mobile ?turnstile?
antenna will be more than adequate for the few minutes you need.   THus,
anyone with a dual band FM radio can go PACSAT MOBILE easily for the
purpose of sending and receiveing their own messages.

I know that no one wants to mess with the software on a *working*
satellite, but we must make sure that any NEW PACSATS implement the
LIST-MY and READ-MY capablility or we are shooting ourselves in the
foot...

de WB4APR, Bob

In otherwords, the Hardware designers of the pacsats DID make a
transmitter and receiver that was capable of working with OMNI antennas,
but back in 1992 the emphasis was on BULK delivery of all the BBS traffic
and BULLETINS.  The resulting PACSAT protocol works perfectly for this
with dedicated GATEWAY stations and gain antennas, but the omission of the
READ-MY  capability completely obviates the mobile users WHICH IS HARDWARE
CAPABLE.  Its a software issue.  BUT... I fully understand the reticence
to mess with a working satelite, but we for sure must not launch any new
satellites with this omission.  LIST-MY and READ-MY are essential commands
in the 1999 and next century... (considering that MOBILE operations is
about the only AMATEUR radio digital mode that can compete with the
Internet)...

Just wait until after December when anyone with a Kenwood 9600 Baud HT can
copy the downlink, and then finds out that the satellite is useless to
them...

I was writing a long dissertation on this problem and will post it later
tonight...  But this message is the essence in a nutshell...

bob