Re: More Mobile 9600 Baud Station

At 08:21 06/11/1998 -0600, you wrote:
>Paul's suggestion of an array of patch antennas is very promising.
>There have been articles on patch antenna design in various VHF
>and microwave publications. An array of 6 patch antennas for 435
>will form the gain antenna for P3D. I worked on the bird a little
>bit this spring and was surprized how thin the antennas were (thinner
>than the aluminum used for the skin of the spacecraft, if memory
>serves) and each was about the size of a small dinner plate. There are
>six in the array in a pattern about 4 feet across -- definitely will
>fit on an RV.

...snip...>

Hey,
This rings a bell! I worked on a 10cm SSR (RADAR) that had an array of
patch antennae. As memory serves, it consisted of a series of diamond
shaped "printed circuit" dipoles on a teflon(?) based substrate. Military
stuff. There was a maze of phasing lines and PIN diode switches to do the
beam forming and side lobe suppression, *and polarization switching* but
the basic phased array was very simple.

For What it's worth.

		73 de VK2XCI. Voice of The Edge of The Outback.
	               Norm at Mount Hope. QF27wd