Re: STS 95 ORBIT

John, N0AJF wrote concerning pansat:

>Whats the big deal with this orbit?
>It seems that it is not getting more then 30deg north or 30 south.
>Looks like they are trying to keep the old fart warm

John,

The item below is from the pansat web site. I heard that the orbital height
was 350 miles. This was needed because one of the other experiments is
testing a piece of equipment for the Hubble, which it said is at that
altitude - I haven't checked that.
PANSAT was designed for a mission life of two years, but current estimates
place its operational life at four to six years. This depends almost
entirely on the altitude which will determine the amount of atmospheric
drag on the
satellite. Current predictions put PANSAT deploy in a circular, 300 nmi
(555 km) altitude orbit. Once it is ejected from the Space Shuttle PANSAT
will begin to fall back to the earth. At the end of its orbital lifetime,
PANSAT will
burn up as it reenters the Earth's atmosphere.