Re: your mail

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Clifford Buttschardt wrote:

> This is Paul's reply to my question regarding his thoughts on the newer
> SETI discovery.  I am posting for him.  Cliff K7RR
>

> > No, Cliff, I'm not on the AMSAT BBS.  Please post the following for me:
> >
> > You may by now have seen claims in the press on 28 October 1998, about a
> > signal from EQ Peg, allegedly received by an amateur in England.  The
> > nonprofit, membership-supported SETI League has been
> > analyzing this claim since October 23rd.  None of our 63 active stations
> > around the world has been able to confirm it.  The signals were reported
> > anonymously in a message hacked into a *closed* signal verification email
> > list.  Subsequently, the hacker went to BBC, which broke the story.  The
> > perpetrator asserts that he/she is NOT a SETI League member, which is scant
> > consolation to us.
> > 	The "signal" has been thoroughly discredited by a host of radio
> > astronomers, amateur and professional, who have analyzed the GIFs posted to
> > the Internet.  The person who reported the alleged signals has violated
> > every principle of responsible science.  He has NOT followed the carefully
> > crafted SETI League signal detection protocols to which all of our
> > participating stations are signatory (see
> > <http://www.setileague.org/general/detect.htm>.  He has NOT adhered to
> > international policies regarding signal verification (see
> > <http://www.setileague.org/general/protocol.htm>).  He has NOT identified
> > himself, and NOT answered emails from our volunteer Regional Coordinator in
> > England, making any meaningful follow-up impossible.  And he has NOT waited
> > for backup analysis before announcing his "find" to the press.  If this is
> > not a blatant hoax, it is the worst kind of irresponsible science (the kind
> > which gives The SETI League, and all credible scientific endeavours, a bad
> > name).
> > 	Anonymity and scientific integrety are mutually exclusive.  A responsible
> > scientist, amateur or professional, owns his mistakes as well as his
> > accomplishments.  Unfortunately the media sometimes fails to make that
> > distinction.

Oh, well, it was nice to imagine what it might have meant to humanity to
really find evidence of other life. Guess we just have to wait until
there's someone out there who really does find it....and gets a
confirmation. Wonder how hard it'll be for them to get the QSL card
through the mail?
;-)

Later and thanks for the psot Cliff,

Andy