Re: PANSAT Interest?

At 08:24 AM 10/30/98 +0000, John Melton - Sun UK - ENS wrote:
>In the document "User Operations Introduction" under section "B. User Ground
>Operations" it states "The SSAG is developing a design for an inexpensive,
>generic Ham kit to provide an amateur radio operator with all of the
necessary
>hardware and software required for the demodulation of the spread spectrum
>signal and communication with PANSAT".
>
>It is this information that is missing and makes it impossible for anyone
else
>to work the satellite.

John,

May I speculate?  The primary mission is for the Navy students.  There is
more than just the SS experiment on PANSAT.  I expect in time they will
open the satellite to some general amateur use.  I'll see if I can get a
statement from the NPS guys on this.  Please stand by.

>Unless the satellite changes its inclination,  we will not get to see it
over
>the UK anyway!

PANSAT will not change its inclination.  This low inclination orbit is
unfortunate for *many* parts of the world!  On a brighter side, it's
nice that NASA changed its mind and decided to install the coming ISS
in a 51.6 deg orbit!

Sincerely,

Pat WD8LAQ