Cheap Packet

I was just curious.  What are the list's thoughts on getting on the digital modes under serious budget constraints.  I have the needed radios, antennas, and computer.  I just need to know what the TNC crop is like, and how much addtional hardware needs to be added (modem, etc.).  I'm not afraid to put something together, and would have to do doppler with mic clicks, because the rigs don't have a means for computer control.

Thanks in Advance!
Joe