Phase 3D in Maryland

Wednesday, October 14, 1998

Phase 3D in Maryland

The AMSAT P3D spacecraft arrived safe and sound!  Preparations
are underway for thermal-vac testing to begin soon at the
Orbital Sciences Corporation complex in Germantown, Maryland.

Come and see!

There are some opportunities to visit the P3D spacecraft.  You
must act quickly, however, because the window of opportunity
is narrow!  While it is in the thermal-vac test chamber the
spacecraft is not visible.

VISITOR SCHEDULE

First group:  Thursday, October 15, 6:30 p.m. EDT.
Second group: Thursday, October 15, 7:30 p.m.
Third group:  Sunday, October 18, 2:00 p.m.
Fourth group: Sunday, October 18, 3:00 p.m.

Each group tour will last about 40 minutes, plus or minus
some depending on the number of visitors.  The best time is
the soonest!  On Sunday some key AMSAT personnel, including
Lou McFadin W5DID, will NOT be present to make your visit
that much more exciting.

LOCATION

Orbital Sciences Corporation ("OSC" or "Orbital")
20301 Century Blvd.
Germantown, MD 20874
Phone: 301-428-6477

Web: http://www.orbital.com/Gtown/docs/defense/facil.htm
http://www.orbital.com/Gtown/docs/defense/facily/map.htm

The Germantown facility is located immediately west of
I-270 about half-way between the Capitol Beltway (I-495)
and Frederick, Maryland (I-70).

DIRECTIONS: From Washington, D.C. take the Capital Beltway
(I-495) to I-270 North.  Exit Route 118 West.  Go right onto
Aircraft Drive at the first traffic light.  Take the first right
at the stop sign onto Century Blvd.  Orbital is located to the
right at 20301 Century Blvd.  See sign of the OSC Fairchild
Defense Division.  Take the second right, into the large parking
lot.  (It's the first right after you pass Cloverleaf Center
Drive on your left.)  Coordinates are N 39 11.474, W 077 15.832.
Park and proceed on foot to Building 5 on the right to check in
with security.

An escorted group is limited to ten or fewer visitors in the
facility at one time.  Legal picture ID is required.  The
deadline to process a foreign national visitor authorization
has passed.  As time allows, a tour of this OSC complex that
is rich in space history may be conducted during your visit.

Contact me by e-mail <wd8laq@amsat.org> and include your contact
information, callsign, number in party, citizenship of each, and
specify your preferred time if you haven't already.  Those who
RSVP will be first in line.

NOTES.  Visitors may wish to note that the nozzle, fuel tanks,
some antennas, MLI blankets, and solar array panels have been
left at home in Orlando.  The P3D spacecraft will be clearly
visible through cleanroom glass panels.  One or more spacecraft
outer surface panels will be removed to display some of the
P3D inner beauty.

Unmoderated talk-in is on 146.955 MHz FM, the Montgomery (County)
Amateur Radio Club repeater, KV3B/R.

The AMSAT-DC mail list will be the forum for most of the
discussion regarding visiting P3D, performing volunteer shift
work during test, running errands, and decoding the spacecraft
telemetry that will be broadcast while in test.  You may subscribe
to the AMSAT-DC list for only for the duration of the testing
in Maryland if you wish.  See the easy steps to subscribe and
unsubscribe at <http://www.amsat.org/amsat/listserv/menu.html>.

Assisting as a backup to me is Dan Schultz, N8FGV
<n8fgv@amsat.org>, but he is on his way to Vicksburg, Miss. to
attend the AMSAT Space Symposium and Annual Meeting.  Dan cannot
check his e-mail remotely on this trip.  Send any e-mail
regarding your visit or the upcoming work schedule to me at
<wd8laq@amsat.org>.  E-mail is my first, second and third
modes preferred to handle this.  The fourth and riskiest is
by phone at 301-286-1984.  Thank you for your understanding.

I have an e-mail from N1SS, K3VDB (Group 2), KA1LM, KA2UPW
(6 for Group 3), NB2F (2 for Group 3), KM4ML (3), K9SLQ,
N2AER (3), and WB2TNL.  Exact times were not provided to me
by some and therefore a "Group number" (see above, i.e., first
group, second group, etc.) is not assigned.  Please advise me
of your day and time.  Or just show up on Thursday night and
take the chance.

Details about the schedule for workers as well as the live
telemetry broadcast reception are forthcoming.  See bulletin,
"Phase 3D to Visit Maryland", dated October 9, 1998.

Don't forget to visit the AMSAT Phase 3D Lab web site at
<http://www.magicnet.net/~phase3d/>.  See some great photos
by Bob Davis KF4KSS, Chuck Green N0ADI, and Rick Leon KA1RHL
while "on the road" in Maryland!

Sincerely,

Pat Kilroy, WD8LAQ
AMSAT Area Coordinator - MDC
NASA-ARRL-AMSAT-TAPR-GARC

Patrick L. Kilroy                                          (ex-743)
SSPP Hitchhiker I&T Engineer      Phone:  301-286-1984
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center  Fax:    301-286-1673
Building 5, New Mail Code 568     E-mail: pat.kilroy@gsfc.nasa.gov
Greenbelt, Maryland  20771        Web:    http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov