PacComm Tiny-2 + 9600 baud modem card

Hi.
  Direct question (trying to get the ITU sat station on line):

  The PacComm G3RUH modem  card compatible with the Tiny-2 comes
with two coax pigtails to plug onto the card. I tried just coming
directly off the DIN-5 connector at the back of the Tiny-2. On a
great KO-23 pass today, I got no download data even though the
S-meter was S-9 or so. The DCD light was nearly solid on through
much of the pass but the data lights did not blink. Do I have
to hook up the IC-821H to the pigtails and not the DIN-5? Thanks.
--Paul Beckmann