Phase 3D To Visit Maryland

Friday, October 9, 1998

Phase 3D To Visit Maryland

The P3D spacecraft will undergo some testing in Germantown,
Maryland soon.  There may be opportunities for AMSAT members
and "family" to visit P3D at the Orbital Sciences Corporation
(OSC) test facility before the spacecraft is placed in the
test chamber.

According to Lou McFadin, W5DID, AMSAT P3D Laboratory Manager,
the spacecraft is scheduled to be in Germantown starting
Tuesday, October 13 and placed in the thermal-vacuum (T/V)
chamber on Tuesday, October 20.

WORKERS.  The test phase is continuous.  One complete thermal
cycle is predicted to run about 36 hours; P3D will go through
five cycles.  There will be late night and early morning
shifts available for AMSAT volunteers to stay up with the
spacecraft at the chamber to monitor its performance.  We
will need sitters and runners as well as technical help.
We will need folks to meet team members at the airport and
take them to the airport.  Contact me if you can volunteer
as an on-site test monitor for two or more shifts or for
any of these other positions.

VISITORS.  The ground rules from the OSC security folks are
still being determined.  Right now we know that an escorted
group is limited to ten or fewer visitors in the facility at
one time.  Legal picture ID is required.  The deadline to
process a foreign national visitor authorization appears
to have passed.  If time allows, a tour of this OSC building
that is rich in history may be conducted during your visit.

The visitor schedule is anticipated as follows:

Thursday, October 15, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. EDT
Friday, October 16, 7:30 - 9 p.m.
Sunday, October 18, 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.
Tuesday, October 20, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. (maybe)

Note that two of these dates occur on the AMSAT-NA Vicksburg
weekend.

These dates and times are subject to change.  Contact me by
e-mail <wd8laq@amsat.org> and include your contact information,
number in party, citizenship of each, and your schedule
constraints.  Until we get arrangements finalized and approved
by OSC security you should approach your visit as you would a
space shuttle launch.  That is, be spontaneous because it can
slip at a moment's notice.

The Germantown facility is located immediately west of
I-270 about half-way between the Capitol Beltway (I-495)
and Frederick, Maryland (I-70).  The very approximate
coordinates of OSC are N 39 15.4, W 77 18.6.

Assisting as a backup to me is Dan Schultz, N8FGV, who can
be reached at n8fgv@amsat.org or 301-552-9478 eves.

TELEMETRY.  While "hidden" in the chamber for up to ten days,
arrangements are being made to broadcast the P3D telemetry
real-time from the test site.  Details about this will be
forthcoming, however, local amateur ground stations equipped
to copy AMSAT-OSCAR 13 PSK 400-bps telemetry should be able
decode it with little effort.  MDC area AMSAT members are
looking into providing a possible Internet link for all to
enjoy.

Please pardon the bandwidth on amsat-bb and other channels
that reach well beyond the Washington, D.C. area.  If you
happen to visit our area this month then please come
visit with us!

Sincerely,

Pat Kilroy, WD8LAQ
AMSAT Area Coordinator - MDC
NASA-ARRL-AMSAT-TAPR-GARC

Patrick L. Kilroy                                          (ex-743)
SSPP Hitchhiker I&T Engineer      Phone:  301-286-1984
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center  Fax:    301-286-1673
Building 5, New Mail Code 568     E-mail: pat.kilroy@gsfc.nasa.gov
Greenbelt, Maryland  20771        Web:    http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov