Meeting Andy Thomas VK5MIR

From: Peter ELLIS@DAO on 10/06/98 05:00 PM

To:   amsat-bb-digest@amsat.org
cc:
Subject:  Meeting Andy Thomas VK5MIR

Some may recall the flurry of media activity about Amateur Radio that I
reported after I talked to Andy on 6 June just before he left MIR.

The local TV station remembered that and contacted me to do a follow-up
with Andy who is visiting Canberra, the Capital of Australia.
We met at the QUESTACON Science and Technology Centre here today and the TV
camera came and took 8-10 minutes of footage and interview. It'll no-doubt
boil down to about 1:20 including other footage. However, there were quite
a few 'dignitaries' who were viewing askance the goings on of an
interloper...

It created quite a stir and good publicity for Amateur Radio.

The fuller report is at my VK1KEP site (see URL below).

     _  .      Peter R. Ellis, Amateur Radio Op. VK1KEP
   _-' |_|\         at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
  /        \        email: peter.ellis@dao.defence.gov.au
  \_.--._ C/        Director,
         \/         RNARS Australia #1528 (see also http://come.to/rnars/)
          v         Custodian for club station VK1RAN
Grid: QF44mq
VK1KEP:   http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5796/vk1kep.htm
Mine:          http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5796/pre-pers.htm
VK1

?club?:    http://www.vk1.wia.ampr.org/

The  human  race  has  one  really  effective weapon, and that is laughter.
-Mark Twain, U.S. Author (1835-1910)

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home