Re: MIR Digi

> I have been told that the MIR digi is OFF now because users are still
> trying to CONNECT TO EACH OTHER instead of using the much more effecient
> UI frames.  STATION-to-STATION connects via MIR digi must be avoided.
>
> Do NOT connect to anyone but the MIR BBS if you want to use it.  If you
> want to esperiment with another user and no one is logged on,  Just send a
> UI frame. If you see it, then your friend did also.  It is FAR more
> effecient that way.

Although I agree with this for the most part, believe it or
not there are occasionally times when almost no-one is
using the MIR. At times like this 2-way digipeat connects
are easy and quite efficient. Rather than trying to
establish arbitrary rules, it seems better to just appeal
to people to use common sense. Actually, the big problem I
have seen with people trying to do station to station
connects via the MIR is that most people have a long
connect message that gets triggered when someone tries to
connect, and LONG packets are hard to get through on the
MIR.  What usually happens is that one station will connect
to another, getting the initial ack back, but then tries to
send the connect message, which won't go through, and the
thing hangs up trying to get the long packet through, each
station sending RR's back and forth. If people would take
out the long connect message they would have a much better
chance. Of course, if the freq is busy, as it usually is, I
agree completely that this is not a good idea, but if the
freq is not busy, it can save some confusion, because you
can't allways rely on the assumption that if you see your
packet bounce that the other station did, since some times
the mir antennas are not favorable in certain directions. I
have often had situations where I would see my packets
bounce but the station on the other end didn't see many of
them, and I wasn't able to see his some of his packets.
Because of this it is often advisable to send packets twice
to insure that they are seen on the other end.

> We must some how educate users to the basics of digipeater operations that
> on a satellite, attempting to CONNECT to another station via the DIGI is
> about the worst thing you can do.  It will rarely be successful and it may
> take DOZENS of packets and dozens of ACKS just to get ONE line through.

I agree that it will rarely work but I think the education
that is needed is recognizing when it will work and when it
won't, and why.  The simplest way for people to get
educated is to see all the packets, but unfortunately, many
people who use the MIR have their TNCs set to not display
all the book-keeping packets, ie all the dms, rrs and the
like.  Because of this, they are unaware of what is going
on. They hear a lot of packet activity but don't see
anything on the screen.  If they would see all the book-
keeping packets, both when connected and unconnected, it
would soon be obvious why certain things are less
efficient. Actually, the biggest problem with the MIR is
not the occasional person who tries station-station
digipeating connections, but the people who send out dozens
and dozens of connect requests to the PMS, despite the fact
that someone is already connected. Probably 80% of the
packets sent out by MIR are DM's, ie busys, to people
trying to connect when it is already connected. This is a
REAL waste.  Of course, it is understandable when the
connected station is nearly finished, since if you wait for
the logged off message, you will never have a chance to get
in, but when you see the RR,P numbers increasing, it means
that the connected station is still communicating, and you
shouldn't try to connect. If you see a "D" packet or an
"RR,F" packet going to the connected station, things are
getting close to ending.  If so many stations weren't
sending useless connect requests, there would be plenty of
bandwidth for more useful packets, even occasional digipeat
connects.