Re: Re: WORD WRAP OR LONG LINE

In a message dated 25-Sep-1998 22:45:10 Central Daylight Time,
SCHULTZ@cddis.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:

>  You should neither assume nor require that every subscriber to Amsat-BB
>  has a certain type of mail reader. Hitting return after 80 characters
>  may be a pain for some of you, but it is a courtesy to those users
>  who are not running your "modern" software.
>

>  Dan Schultz N8FGV
>  ----
Sir:

My point is that on even the most basic UNIX, as well as several Apple II,
DOS, etc.,
 terminal programs that I have been exposed to, or heard about, 80 column word
wrap
 is achievable without necessarily inserting hard returns by hand. As far as
being a
pain to "some of" us, I suspect that MOST of the folks on this BB would have
trouble
 with inserting hard returns because of the features of our programs. For your
 edification, I've gone back and added hard returns at the end of every line
in this
 paragraph- how does it look compared to the rest of the missive?

This is not the only "truly international group" that I participate in, and
you should see some of the comments generated when folks who should know
better, and have the sophisticated programs, manage to get the word wrap
turned off, generating 500 character lines.

OBAMSAT ref: Now, when I get back from Scout training tonight, I hope that
I've got enough daylight left to get up on the roof and try the "chaka" or
"popcan" method to figure out if I've got enough clearance to be worth while
persuading my yl to allow me to hang a 2m quadrafilar on the roof- we've big
trees on every side but the South!

ck
--
Charles S. Krin, DO FAAFP