Re: Antenna Selection

Joel B. Black writes:

>     2.  I am somewhat limited to my antenna installation (i.e.. there =
> are *lots* of trees in the area requiring a tower of at least 80').This =
> is not necessarily a problem other than I don't have an 80' tower.  =

Trees absorb *vertical* polarisation better than any other. So common sense
sez: don't go for vertical polarisation. True circular pol would probably
get distorted too; others will probably know more about this.

I wouldn't say "go buy a horizontal beam" ... but it might be worth
delaying your purchase for a while and borrowing one to see what happens.

With that much foliage its worth also bearing in mind that winter (read:
no leaves) is better than summer.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org