Re: Antenna Selection

Recently, Joel B. Black at email address jbblack@wwisp.com sent the
following:

>I am interested in any *positive* input (or constructive criticism)
>regarding antennas.

>    3.  I have been looking (intently) at the M2 eggbeater antennas with
>the radial kit.

This summer I purchased both 2 meter and 70cm Eggbeaters from M Squared.
They performed very well for both satellite use as well as long distance
tropo.  I get very little fading on satellite and has turned out to be
a very good solution for satellite usage.  The only limitation is they
are useless for satellites like AO-10 with orbits that take them out
30,000 km or more.  For those, you do need the gain of a beam etc.

I live in southeastern Wisconsin.  In the Sept VHF QSO Party contest
I made 116 contacts using just a FT-847 barefoot.  I had contacts in
VA, W.VA, WNY, PENN, TENN, S.DAK, MN, MICH, OHIO, IL, IND, and WI.
All direct tropo contacts.  The longest being 650 miles.  The kicker is
the antennas were only up 20 feet on the tower.  The reason for keeping
them low was only because I had intended to have them used only for
satellite usage.  But they certainly worked well for tropo as well.
For me, they have become good purchase.  Horizontal polorization for
tropo as well as right hand circular for satellite.  In addition,
I found I could "hear" stations that were not being heard by others
using "beams" because of the attenuation factor in their antennas.
So it has turned out to be an advantage for me.  Good luck on your
selection.  If you purchase the eggbeaters, Im sure you will find them
both easy to use and to put together.

73 de Rees/K9UUT

p.s. I purchased my eggbeaters with the radial kits as well.

    /  /  /  /  /      * Rees Roberts           * reesr@wi.net
   /--/--/--/--/       * 5041 Indian Hills Dr   * w9udu@wi.net
  /  /  /| /  /  K9UUT * Racine, WI 53406       * Tel: 414-633-6262