Re: Anti-ham Stance position by LAFD

On Sept 16, 1998, at approx 4:30 pm PDT, I returned to my home to find my
amateur radio antennas brutally vandalized and destroyed. Pieces of my
antennas were dangling off of the roof and certain parts were found on  the
sidewalk in front of my condominium building.

After several enquiries, I discovered that the members of my homeowners
association in conjunction with the management company willfully committed
this act. The Vice-President of the my homeowners' association told me "
The Homeowners' group was acting on direct orders of Los Angeles City Fire
Department (LAFD) Capt. Randall Judd, and Fireman Charles R. Palacios (
both are at Fire Station 092) who told them that it was in the public
interest to commit acts of vandalism against amateur radio operators by
destroying their antennas".

I am a member of several volunteer organization engaged in the business of
handling emergency and health and welfare traffic for law-enforcement, fire
departments and the United states military among other groups.

The Los Angeles City Fire Department has now officially gone on record with
the position that amateur radio operators and their antennas are a direct
hazard to public safety.

Is this the end of amateur radio as we know it ?

Should amateur operators stop all community activities because their
services are no longer needed ?

I will let you decide..

73 de
     K6FCC
     NNNOBSB (Navy-Marine Corps MARS)
     (Khalil Ladjevardi)

                Fire Department Official Reply
                ===============================

>From: "Brian Humphrey" <brian.humphrey@prodigy.net>
>To: <khalil@primenet.com>
>Subject: Reply
>Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 15:02:28 -0700
>
>Khalil:
>
>Here is my public reply. I hope you can take a moment to read it.
>
>============================
>
>Thanks to the many of you who have written regarding the Los Angeles Fire
>Department's stance in regards to the Amateur Radio Community.
>
>Khalil Ladjevardi wrote...
>
>> On Sept 16, 1998, at approx 4:30 pm PDT, I returned to my home to find my
>> amateur radio antennas brutally vandalized and destroyed. Pieces of my
>> antennas were dangling off of the roof and certain parts were found on
>the
>> sidewalk in front of my condominium building.
>>
>> After several enquiries, I discovered that the members of my homeowners
>> association in conjunction with the management company willfully committed
>> this act. The Vice-President of the my homeowners' association told me "
>> The Homeowners' group was acting on direct orders of Los Angeles City Fire
>> Department (LAFD) Capt. Randall Judd, and Fireman Charles R. Palacios (
>> both are at Fire Station 092) who told them that it was in the public
>> interest to commit acts of vandalism against amateur radio operators by
>> destroying their antennas".
>>
>> I am a member of several volunteer organization engaged in the business of
>> handling emergency and health and welfare traffic for law-enforcement,
>fire
>> departments and the United states military among other groups.
>>
>> The Los Angeles City Fire Department has now officially gone on record
>with
>> the position that amateur radio operators and their antennas are a direct
>> hazard to public safety.
>>
>> Is this the end of amateur radio as we know it ?
>>
>> Should amateur operators stop all community activities because their
>> services are no longer needed ?
>>
>> I will let you decide..
>>
>> 73 de
>>      K6FCC
>>      NNNOBSB (Navy-Marine Corps MARS)
>>      (Khalil Ladjevardi)

Brian's response for LAFD:
==========================

> [...]
>
>Please let me return to another statement:
>
>> The Vice-President of the my homeowners' association told me "
>> The Homeowners' group was acting on direct orders of Los Angeles City Fire
>> Department (LAFD) Capt. Randall Judd, and Fireman Charles R. Palacios (
>> both are at Fire Station 092) who told them that it was in the public
>> interest to commit acts of vandalism against amateur radio operators by
>> destroying their antennas".
>
>Please note that this is a quoted statement (and possibly the opinion of)
>the VICE PRESIDENT OF HIS HOMEOWNER'S ASSOCIATION [emphasis added]. I know
>of
>no such statement by any of our members. The Vice-President of his HOA does
>not speak for the LAFD!!
>
>Most distressing however, is (Khalil's understandable opinion), which many
>of you took as "fact" or even "current LAFD policy". See below.
>
>Khalil wrote...
>
>> The Los Angeles City Fire Department has now officially gone on record
>with
>> the position that amateur radio operators and their antennas are a direct
>> hazard to public safety.
>
>I'll let that statement speak for itself. With no disrespect for Khalil, I
>feel that members of the Amateur Radio Community are astute enough to
>determine whether or not we have categorically and "officially" declared
>(and I quote his quote):
>
>>amateur radio operators and their antennas are a direct hazard to public
>safety
>
>Anyone who knows the LAFD knows that we would never and have never made such
>a blanket declaration.
>
>The whole story has yet to be written, and again, the principal players in
>this scenario are his Homeowner's Association and the City Attorney's
>office.
>
>Though I do not think that Khalil meant any harm to our reputation. I am
>saddened that our agency's official view of the Amateur Radio Community has
>been somewhat besmirched by those who may have mis-interpreted his
>statement(s).
>
>I wish Khalil the best in his dealings with his HOA and the City Attorney's
>Office. I am also hopeful and indeed comforted in knowing that he can turn
>to his many friends in the Amateur Radio Community for support (legal and
>otherwise) as he confronts:
>
>- His Homeowner's Association
>- The City Attorney's Officer
>
>I offer this reply not in an antagonistic manner, but only in the course of
>my duties, which is to defend the acts and image of the men and women who
>regularly place the needs and often lives of others ahead of their own.
>
>Very Truly Yours,
>
>Brian Humphrey
>Firefighter/Paramedic
>Public Information Officer
>Los Angeles Fire Department
>
>PS: My e-mailbox is already overflowing with mail on this matter, and I
>cannot possibly offer a personal reply to all.

Khalil's reponse:
================

(The following is a copy of my response to Firefighter/Lead Paramedic Brian
Humphrey, Public Relations Officer, Los Angeles City Fire Department).

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your response regarding my antenna situation.
Unfortunately, I have had no luck with the names and phone numbers that you
had provided me.
I have contacted the personnel which you suggested and they told me that
this situation was a lot more than they expected. As of 9/20/98 nothing has
been done to resolve this situation. I can honestly say that I have
received very little lip service to my cause.

What is my cause ?  I am volunteer whose sole purpose in becoming a ham is
to perform a public service. Since being licensed in 1992, this goal has
been 100 percent of my focus and activity. It has become very clear that
the Los Angeles City Fire Department has no respect or regards for the men
and women who volunteer their assistance. In short, when the LAFD is in
trouble, they know that amateur radio operators can be relied upon to
assist them in their communications needs. When an amateur radio operator
is in trouble, the amateur know now that the LAFD will only stab them in
the back with a senseless,cold, and thoughtless bureaucracy.

I feel it is my duty as a citizen and a member of the Los Angeles Community
of amateur operators to fully disclose my situation and how I was brutally
treated by the LAFD which I spent many hours in public assistance to its
needs. If LAFD wishes my message and story to change, then LAFD must change
it actions and treatment towards me.

Brian, I am in need of help and not lip-service with respect to my antenna
situation. The question becomes whether I receive the help from LAFD or
from external legal sources.

The ball is now in your court.

Sincerely,

Khalil Ladjevardi, K6FCC
Volunteer
Auxilliary Communications Service (ACS)
Batallion 18
Los Angeles City Fire Department

(copies sent via e-mail to all those who are interested)