Re: Newbie Question(s)

Hello Koel,

My 2 cents for "sat ops" on a budget:

I have had QSO's using my Yaesu FT-5200 FM mobile rig with the
2 band larsen vertical antenna on the car roof, 2M uplink and
436.8 Mhz downlink on AO-27. Simple to implement and fun.

Consider the Yaesu FT-847, Much more radio than the ICOM IC-821
or 820.

For the RS satellites I used my existing HF rig, and wire
dipoles for 15M uplink and 10M downlink or a Diamond
vertical for the 2M downlink with a Yaesu FT-736R.

A computer in the shack is neccesary to determine
when the sats are visible, A internet connection can get the
satellite element  sets to plug into your tracking program.
Or get sat elements on the 2M packet network/bbs.
I still use AMSAT's INSTANTRACK (sp) for my PC.
Other programs are available for tacking and telementry decoding.

As the budget permits: ( my order of priority.... HI )

1. mast mount preamplifiers for the downlink vertical antennas.
    Mirage stuff will work, Consider the Landwehr 2m, 70 cm preamps also.

2. circularly polarized antennas for uplink and downlink. 2M and 70 cm
    consider the M2 2" OD fiberglass horizontal boom, longer than KLM's

3. antenna azimuth and elevation positioners like the Yaesu 5400
    or the new M2 MT1000.(el positioner)

4. Packet TNC for 9600. Be careful on what unit you buy,
    some are reportedly a bear to set up.

5. 1269 Mhz transverter with 2M IF, for P3D, uplink
    (1268= 144, 1269 = 145 Mhz).
    use receive down converter for terrestrial  QSO's.

6. 2400 Mhz transverter with 2M IF (144 = 2400, 2401 = 145Mhz) for P3D,
    and antenna mounted on the cross boom.

7. a tower to give you a clear sight to the radio horizon.
    associated coax, positioner control cables, lightning arrestors.

8. 5,668  Mhz uplink, transmit converter 2M IF for P3D and antenna
    (5,668 = 144 Mhz).

9. 10,451, and 24,048 Mhz receive downconverters for P3D, 2M IF

10. satellite tracking controller hardware to allow your tracking software
    to control you antenna positions.
    Then you can spend more time in QSO,  than moving antennas.

11. I am sure other folks have good suggstions and priorities..

My 2 cents,

Stan, WA1ECF   LM-AMSAT