Fwd: Unknown sat?

 > Clifford Buttschardt wrote:
 >
 > Your probably hearing that god damned cash register in the fast food
 > restaurant!  A little bit more experience would be much appreciated!
 > Cliff K7RR >>

Cliff,

In the simplest words I can find, that kind of a response is plain wrong of
you to post.  It goes a long way toward alienatng anyone who might be thinking
of becomming a ham.  It will make new hams think twice about whether or not
they made the right decision in getting licensed.

As a "newbie teen" ham some 40 years ago, I well remember a "certain" guy from
upstate New York who would call CQ and then add: "...No kids.  No lids.  No
space cadettes.  The school bus does not stop on my frequency."  Maybe others
of you reading this remember that sullen way of letting the world know that he
wanted to talk only to those he considered as the ham radio 'elite."

This man had no tollerence for anyone that he viewed as his intellectual
inferior.  He detested the young and the inexperienced.  He did all he could
to make ham radio life miserable for those of us just starting out in the
hobby.

Yest he was a technically skilled person who was known to be a master radio
builder.  Sadly, he took all of his vast knowlege of ham radio with him,
refusing to share it with those who would replace him.  That was totally
selfish on his part and cannot be forgiven even to this day.

I am told that he died a very, very lonely old man.  Is this what you see for
yourself as well?

This hobby has no future without the "newbie ham."  There is no ham more
important than the one who went through a 2-day cram course; passed a codefree
Tech exam; walked into Radio Shack and bought an HTX-202 and set up shop opn a
local repeater.  He -- not you are I is the future.  He is also the "raw meat"
from which the next generation of ham radio technologists an political leaders
will be molded.

You and I have a very real obligation to share our knowledge wth him.  If we
fail to do so, we also fail Amateur Radio .  And if we do this, we fail
ourselves as well.

de
Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF

Clifford Buttschardt wrote:

> Your probably hearing that god damned cash register in the fast food
> restaurant!  A little bit more experience would be much appreciated!
> Cliff K7RR
>
> On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>
> > I should know the answer to this, but I heard many satellite signals
> > between about 145.9 to 145.95 last night.  I was sitting in grocery store
> > parking lot waiting for wife and was bored so I randomly tuned the oscar
> > band and was surprised to find a linear 2m downlink.  I thought I knew
> > most of the birds.  I guess it must have been an RS bird, but all my
> > satelilte books and references are at work, and im curious what bird it
> > was.  I assume I cant possibly hear AO-10 on a mobile whip?  Or could it
> > have been at perogee?  But not at 11 PM local sun time....
> >
> > Confused... bob
> >
> > ----

Please watch your language OM  !!!!!    73 de Jim K4PYT